To always proclaim the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ,
so that people may come to faith and grow in faith.
- To administer the pure preaching of God's word and His sacraments.
- To provide spiritual growth for current members of all ages.
- To reach out to our community and beyond with the message of Jesus, so that all might share in our joy and fellowship.
Niekerk is part of the Christian Reformed Church in North America, which has a rich tradition of thoughtful theology and relevant Biblical wisdom as outlined in our creeds and confessions. (The Apostles' Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed, the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dort)
The congregation of Niekerk (Dutch for "New Church") was organized by Dutch immigrants on September 25, 1866. Therefore, Niekerk has a long and rich history in West Michigan, for which we are thankful, because it has brought us to where we are today.
- We call ourselves Christian because by faith we are members of Christ and share in his anointing. We are anointed to confess His name, to present ourselves to Him as living sacrifices of thanks, to strive with a free conscience against sin and the devil in this life, and afterwards to reign with Christ over all creation for all eternity. (Heidelberg Catechism Q&A 32)
- We are called Reformed because we are born out of the Protestant Reformation in the sixteenth-century, and even today we are always reforming and being reformed according to the Word of God.